Creating compelling customer experience for insurance policyholders.

Intro

This project was completed for a large national home and auto insurance provider. What follows is an innovative solution for a complete redesign. I conducted research and ideation processes as outlined below.

(Because of NDA, I cannot show the full scope of work.)

Key Goal

The goal of the redesign was to present an encompassing app experience that was informative and intuitive.

User Story

As an insurance customer, I want to have a wholesome insurance app so that I can feel safe.

Scope

  • Identifying customer pain points
  • Competitive analysis
  • Wireframes
  • Design system
  • Test plan
Constraint

The biggest constraint working on a B2C product is the lack of insight without an account.

Roles & Responsibilities

My role

I worked on a team with visual designers, art directors, strategists, and a copywriter.

As the only Experience Designer, my responsibilities shifted as the project continued. I have experience in the industry, so I gave the team my all. Even if it meant staying later than usual in the office.

The first thing I did was start a Keynote doc and shared it with other creatives. In it, we shared inspiration, mood boards, and any impressive features. This doc quickly grew into a giant monster!

Process

Empathize

Identifying current pain points

Not having access to existing policyholders for interviews meant that most research efforts were external. The insurance company has 2 visually different mobile apps. I browsed reviews on the App Store and Google Play Store to uncover customers’ current pain points. To make sense of my efforts, I organized the reviews on an affinity map.

Learning why policyholders switch providers

While reviews of the current app produced a starting point, it did not paint the complete picture. Specifically, it did not identity why policyholders change their insurance providers. That is a big pain point for both parties. 

Historically, consumers change insurance companies because of:

  • A better price
  • Unsatisfactory claims experience

Both reasons are reactive.

A study conducted by Accenture* revealed:

  • 41% of policyholders who had submitted a claim are likely or very likely to switch to another insurer in 12 months (1)
  • 90% of policyholders cited the ability to contact the provider at any time to check the real-time status of a claim as an important expectation

By gathering research data points, I was able to pin down on what is and isn’t feasible for an app redesign. Some pain points are out of scope due to the overlaying technical challenges.

Pain points

  • Paying bill
  • Filing a claim
  • Understanding what is/isn’t covered
  • Access to insurance verification

Out of scope

  • Changes to in policy rates
  • App load time
  • Back-end issue of Android app not opening 
  • Delays between customers paying their bill and withdraws from banking accounts

Define

Interaction Design Foundation* rightly states the following about well-designed user flows: “Products should consist of such good interactions that users don’t even notice how they got from point A to point B.” I’ve identified steps of 2 common user goals: paying their bill and filing a claim. 

Task flow: bill pay

Paying any bill on a monthly basis is a pain point for most. Companies eliminate that dreaded task by proposing automatic payments. This is not unique in the insurance space, as credit card companies, cable providers, and even banking apps offer this service. 

Logging in to pay a bill on an app provides peace of mind to policyholders. As noted in the app store reviews, many customers use the app primarily for that specific goal.

Task flow: filing a claim

Within the insurance claims process itself, customers favor two important factors*:

  • Settlement speed
  • Process transparency

These are the key contributors to customer loyalty.

Ideate

Content inventory

At a top-level, a content audit is a qualitative analysis of current content.

I took inventory of current screens, sections, and features within the app. This provided a holistic understanding of content and allowed me to propose a more effective organization.

Then, I used a card sorting exercise with my team to organize everything into categories. This would form the structure within the app.

Competitive analysis & mood board

Access to competitor mobile apps is difficult to obtain without active accounts. I overcame this obstacle by searching the web and App Store listings for screenshots.

I’ve also reached out to my family–turns out they have a policy with Geico. They were kind enough to share their login credentials for me to peek under the hood (pardon the pun).

Explore

Wireframes

After aligning with the team on the content structure within the app, I began working on wireframes. I looked everywhere for inspiration – from direct competitors to Nike and Uber. I even held a team ideation session, during which we examined what we liked or didn’t. 

I created wireframes in Whimsical and passed them on to the UI designers.

Testing

I ran rapid tests with the high-fidelity designs. Because of time constraints, these rapid tests focused on the dashboard.

Impression Test* – “Please describe the design of the dashboard”

Navigation Test – “Please select where you would tap to access your bill statement”

Outcome

Impact

The insurance company’s executives enjoyed the fruit of my team’s labor. We had impressed them enough for them to go back and crunch some numbers. Unfortunately, because of Covid19, the future of this overhaul was put on ice.

Retrospective

I learned that in a project with many stakeholders, holding creative brainstorming sessions allowed all opinions to be heard. I am research best practices of ideation workshops to have in my back pocket for the future.

Footnotes